2007 has been a banner year for comedy. Movies like “Superbad”, “Knocked Up”, and “Hot Fuzz” reinvented the comedy genre. Here is a list of the funniest scenes in films this year.
10. “Lars and the Real Girl” – Lars introduces Bianca to Karin and Gus.
– The audience is aware of who Bianca is, but the moment she is introduced is terrific. The look on their faces is priceless, as is Lars’ interaction with her throughout the scene.
9. “The Darjeeling Limited” – The Tiger
– It only lasts a few seconds, but when Angelica Huston’s character explains that the tiger “ate one of the sister’s brothers” at the convent, everyone in the theater started to crack up. The movie was more serious than funny, but this scene really stuck out.
8. “Joshua” – Joshua talks to the homeless man
– Oh, this wasn’t supposed to be funny? Oops. I’m sorry, but when Joshua propositions the homeless guy with “I’ll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you” I was laughing very hard. Yeah, it was a freaky movie and I probably shouldn’t have laughed as loud as I did in the small theater.
7. “Superbad” – I am McLovin
– The most repeated quote from any movie this year, in a completely genius scene. Christopher Mintz-Plasse did a terrific job as the single-named geek without a clue and will probably pop up in every comedy in the next few years.
6. “The Simpsons Movie” – Tom Hanks
– A great celebrity cameo. Tom Hanks is probably the nicest movie star and I bet if you met him in real life he would be totally awesome, and answer any questions and sign autographs, and just be normal. I love it when celebrities make fun of themselves.
5. “Knocked Up” – No more lies
– Kristen Wiig is the new it girl of comedy after starring roles in this film and in “Walk Hard.” She’s also the only good thing about “SNL” right now. This scene is the scene in which Katherine Heigl’s character lets the execs know about her pregnancy and Wiig’s character creepily opens up to how she wants to be friends, but wants “no more lies.” Hilarious!
4. “Juno” – Juno meets the Lorings
– The whole scene is funny from beginning to end, especially at the end when Juno tells them, “You should’ve gone to China, you know, ’cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those t-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events.” Also, the mock photos of Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner on the wall are priceless.
3. “Superbad” – Drawing penises disorder
– The term “a big veiny one” became a big addition to the American teenage dictionary this year after the unbelievable montage of Jonah Hill’s character’s awkwardly creepy childhood disorder. The credits of the movie also feature many different themed penis drawings that are definitely worth a watch.
2. “Knocked Up” – High, and sitting on chairs in the hotel
– The movie was unfortunately disappointing but it had some of the funniest scenes this year. Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen are high as kites and have a very difficult time choosing chairs to sit in in their hotel room. It sounds stupid, but it plays out hilariously.
1. “Hot Fuzz” – Romeo + Juliet
– Simon Pegg and Nick Frost’s character’s find themselves at the theater seeing a terrible version of Romeo and Juliet. At the very end all the dead characters wake up and start singing “Lovefool” ala Baz Luhrmann’s “Romeo + Juliet.” I was almost on the floor laughing through the whole movie, but this scene had me in tears.
There you have it, let me know what you think!